Mosquitoes have a tendency to make their way through even the smallest openings, flying right into your home. Keeping your doors and windows in good condition can be challenging, but is important to keeping your household healthy.
Step number five of The Five D’s is: DOORS and windows should be in good condition. Here are some general tips to keep your windows and doors in good condition:
- Seal windows and doors the opposite direction of the wind.
- Use caulk to fill cracks to help your windows stay sealed shut.
- Install door and window screens instead of keeping unscreened doors and windows open.
Following the Five D’s this summer will keep your family and pets healthy in all your outdoor fun. The Five D’s from the Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito & Vector Control District, are:
- DRAIN all standing water
- Avoid DAWN and DUSK when mosquitoes are most active
- DRESS appropriately in long sleeves and pants
- DEFEND yourself against mosquitoes with an effective repellent
- DOORS and windows should be in good condition
Spread the word this National Mosquito Control Week, so that all your neighborhood friends and family can stay mosquito-free as well.